Re: TPCH Benchmark query result invalid

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Cronje Fourie <cfourie(at)e-intelligence(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TPCH Benchmark query result invalid
Date: 2006-12-12 16:23:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> richardh=# SELECT interval '3' month;
> interval
> ----------
> 00:00:00
> (1 row)

> It's got a zero-length date-range it's comparing against. If you have
> interval '3 months' that should work, but I'm afraid I haven't got time
> to check against the specs to see what the correct format should be.

I think this syntax is supposed to work according to the SQL spec. Tom
Lockhart was fooling around with making that stuff spec-compliant before
he left the project, and no one has bothered to pick it up since :-(.
Perhaps everyone thinks the spec syntax for interval constants is so
bizarre and non-orthogonal it's not worth dealing with ...