Re: 7.0.2 cuts off attribute name

From: Niall Smart <niall(dot)smart(at)ebeon(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.0.2 cuts off attribute name
Date: 2000-06-14 09:39:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 7.0 has a new behavior of *telling* you that it's truncating overlength
> identifiers, but the system has always truncated 'em.
>
> If you're simply complaining about the fact that it emits a notice,
> I agree with you 100%: that notice is one of the most nonstandard,
> useless, annoying bits of pointless pedantry I've seen in many years.
> I argued against it to start with but was outvoted. Maybe we can have
> a revote now that people have had some practical experience with it:
> who still thinks it's a good idea?

You think it should fail with an error message instead? ;)

I think that PostgreSQL must tell the user when it is doing
something as significant as truncating a name.

Niall

Privileged/confidential information may be contained in this message.
for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this
message and notify the sender and postmaster(at)ebeon(dot)com
immediately.

If you or your employer do not consent to Internet E-mail messages of
this kind, please advise us immediately.

Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message
(including any attachments) are not given or endorsed by ebeon ltd
(or ebeon inc., as applicable) unless otherwise confirmed in writing
by an authorised representative independent of this message. Any
liability arising from reliance placed on this message (including its
attachments) without such independent confirmation is hereby excluded.

This message (including attachments) is protected by copyright laws
but has no other legal or contractual standing. The presence of this
footnote indicates that this message (including its attachments) has
been processed by an automated anti-virus system; however it is the
responsiblity of the recipient to ensure that the message (and
attachments) are safe and authorised for use in their environment.