Re: day of week

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: day of week
Date: 2000-06-13 13:14:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> You probably right. I belive that Thomas say more about it...

to_char() is compatible with Oracle. date_part() is compatible with
Ingres (or should be). I've got the Ingres docs somewhere, but
presumably I looked at them when implementing this in the first place.
Maybe not, but what I have is compatible with Unix date formatting.

> For PG date_part/trunc will SET (or anything like this) good.

Let's decide what these functions are for; in this case they are each
cribbed from an existing database product, and should be compatible with
those products imho.

btw, the "week of year" issue is quite a bit more complex; it is defined
in ISO-8601 and it does not correspond directly to a "Jan 1" point in
the calendar. In fact, there can be 53 weeks in a year, and some days
early in the calendar year will fall into the preceeding year for
purposes of this week calculation.

- Thomas