Re: postmaster: init.d/start

From: Bill Anderson <bill(at)libc(dot)org>
To: markus(dot)wagner(at)bigfoot(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster: init.d/start
Date: 2000-06-13 03:30:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

Markus Wagner wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> thank you for your reply.
>
> There are some unanswered questions.
> Why does one have to consider multiple run levels? Doesn't run level 3
> (network + X) implicate run level 2 (network)?
> So if I don't use XDM (or equivalent) and the system starts with a login
> shell only, it would start run level 2 services. And if I use XDM and
> the system starts using X it would also load run level 2 services?

Not neccesarily. each run-level contains it's own list of services. They
may, or may not, overlap.

BTW, Runlevel3 is generally networking + NFS, NOT X. X is usually
runlevel 5 (all depending on the variant). if you start a system not
configured to go to X-RUnlevel, it will usually go to runlevel 3 (Don't
recall ever seeing a default system go to runlevel two; Unix/Linux).