Re: query optimiser changes 6.5->7.0

From: Wim Ceulemans <wim(dot)ceulemans(at)nice(dot)be>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>, Simon Hardingham <simon(at)netxtra(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query optimiser changes 6.5->7.0
Date: 2000-06-02 09:06:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net> writes:
> > OK this may seem like a stupid question, but isn't index scan always
> > better except for the pathalogical simple case where the work to be done
> > is trivial anyway?
>
> No. If it were, the optimizer would be a whole lot simpler ;-)
>
> In practice an indexscan only wins if it will visit a relatively
> small percentage of the tuples in the table. The $64 questions
> are how small is small enough, and how can the optimizer guess
> how many tuples will be hit in advance of doing the query...

Isn't there a way to tell the optimizer to use an index scan if one
knows this is going to be the best.

I have seen lots of posts concerning people who are trying to force the
optimizer to use an index scan by rephrasing their SQL statements. Isn't
there a possibility to provide some syntax (non SQL compliant I know) to
force the optimizer to do an index scan?

Regards
Wim