Re: SPI & file locations

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Ron Peterson <rpeterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SPI & file locations
Date: 2000-05-26 18:33:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Ron Peterson wrote:

> I'm afraid this might sound rather dumb. I'm hoping I can just get a
> little clarification about file locations.
>
> I've just started playing w/ SPI. As a first stab, I thought I'd
> compile a couple of the test applications in /contrib.
>
> I pointed gcc to include files from /usr/local/pgsql - i.e. 'gcc ...
> -I/usr/local/pgsql/include ...'. This of course didn't work.
> /usr/local/pgsql/include/executor/spi.h attempts to include files which
> don't exist in the install directory. They only exist in
> /usr/local/src/postgresql-7.0/src/include (or wherever you put the
> source).
>
> After installation, shouldn't everything you need be in
> /usr/local/pgsql?

I too have run into this dependency problem. The number of
headers required to compile an SPI code module is around 80, if I
recall correctly. Lamar Owen was good enough to include those
headers as apart of the RPM distribution and they would go into
/usr/include/pgsql. I believe he got the dependency list from
Oliver Elphick who manages the Debian package, so that should be
correct as well. If you're not using RedHat or Debian
distrubitions, I think you're stuck with keeping the backend
source tree lying around. :-(

Mike Mascari