Re: Re: [HACKERS] Postgresql OO Patch

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Marten Feldtmann <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>
Cc: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>, "Robert B(dot) Easter" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [HACKERS] Postgresql OO Patch
Date: 2000-05-24 14:17:48
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Marten Feldtmann wrote:

> But here again an active system may be build on top of the system we
> already have:
>
> - update, insert, deletes are catched via triggers (on commit)
> these trigger functions do retrieve the object-id of the objects
> changed and write the result into a special table.
>
> - another software has notification on this special table and managed
> the ip-commuication to the clients.

Extending NOTIFY to take at least ONE string argument or OID would go a
long long way. Even better would be for it to take an "Object", in the
one-supertable sense.

So triggers or whatever can just notify interested parties about changes.

This has been on my personal todo for severeal years already ;)

Hannu