Re: MySQL crashme test and PostgreSQL

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Matthias Urlichs <smurf(at)noris(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL crashme test and PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-05-21 03:37:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [CC: to general list.]
>
> > I might add that their test lists 52 features of PostgreSQL which
> > MySQL doesn't have (13 functions). It also lists 122 features of
> > MySQL which PostgreSQL doesn't have; 78 of those are extra
> > functions (40 of these, just for M$-ODBC compatibility).
>

> > So it seems that overall, that crash-me test result is reasonably
> > balanced (39 vs. 44 non-function differences -- let's face it,
> > adding another function for compatibility with SQL variant FOO is
> > one of the easier exercises here, whatever the current value of
> > FOO is).
>
> You have to make the test deceptive to get MySQL to be on par with
> PostgreSQL. Period. Doesn't MySQL admit they have fewer features
> than PostgreSQL. How did MySQL get an equal score on features?
> Answer me that one.

That's easy:

MySQL has type mediumint
PostgreSQL has transactions

MySQL allows 'and' as string markers
PostgreSQL has views

MySQL has case insensitive compare
PostgreSQL has referential integrity

MySQL has support for 0000-00-00 dates
PostgreSQL has subqueries

MySQL has 'drop table if exists'
PostgreSQL has multiversion concurrency control

etc.

See? Equal. I hope my sarcasm is not too overstated.

Mike Mascari