Re: excell to postgres

From: Fabrice Scemama <fabrice(dot)scemama(at)gesnet(dot)net>
To: chris(at)leerelectric(dot)com
Cc: "'Martin A(dot) Marques'" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>, pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: excell to postgres
Date: 2000-04-18 01:35:46
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm a Linux user.
I've been using xlHTML and a home-made HTML2DBF rather than
ODBC with Perl's DBD::Proxy and DBD::ODBC because, to be
able to use ODBC, you need people to *name* the table they
create when using Excel. Well, they never do so.
Sometimes, they will name a table with 256 columns and
thousands of rows! and this, will *not* be handled by
stupid ODBC. No name being given to define the table will
make ODBC fail, as well.

You can open the file, then save it as CSV, etc.
But don't we want to make these kinds of things automatic?

That's why I use xlHTML. And yes, even with it, I come
across bad surprises, very often. So often that I've been
in the obligation to refuse that people send me Excel tables.
Access is the maximum I can tolerate (ODBC is ok at least).

Fabrice Scemama

--
"How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel and
Microsoft?" (Al Gore, Vanity Fair, January 1999 issue, talking about