Localization or an other solution

From: Erol Oz <eroloz(at)bilgi(dot)edu(dot)tr>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Localization or an other solution
Date: 2000-04-12 22:22:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
As everybody knows, or at least guess, the Turkish-specific characters
is ordered incorrectly unless you don't have localization support. (For
example there is a letter like 's' but has a dot under it; this letter
must come after 's'; without localization support this and other
non-English ones come after 'z' )
According to the manual, localization causes the loose of performance.
Beside, I scare to use localization which is not familiar to me. Because
of these, I try to find an other solution. The one that I think on is
- to use a seperate field for each of the fields that I want to order;
- to put a correctly-sortable version of the data in the related field
- and to use this extra fields for sorting purposes.
Example:
Original data: 'şimşek'
In extra field: 'szzimszzek'
Finally, my question is:
In a table which has 100.000 or more records, which one will be more
faster? Localization or this one.
Thanks in advance
Erol Oz