Re: Localization or an other solution

From: "tjk(at)tksoft(dot)com" <tjk(at)tksoft(dot)com>
To: eroloz(at)bilgi(dot)edu(dot)tr (Erol Oz)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Localization or an other solution
Date: 2000-04-12 23:14:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Erol,

A possible solution would be to create special functions
for sorting each language you need to sort.

E.g. sortturkish() for sorting Turkish text.

You would implement sortturkish by writing a C
function.

You would need to do string comparisons of Turkish
language strings within the function.

In terms of more specifics, I hope you are more knowleadgeable.
I don't know one thing about Turkish, so I can't make
real attempts. If you just have some 8 bit characters
which are special, then the jobs is relatively simple.
Read each letter one at a time and use a lookup
table which has a value assigned to all Turkish letters,
for doing the comparison.

I am curious if anyone else thinks using functions would
be more flexible/convenient. You couldn't handle issues such
as numbers, commas, etc., but sorting alone would be useful.

Not perfect, but convenient, especially when your primary
language is English and you only want to be able to
handle some tables with text in other languages.

Troy