Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC connection refused

From: John Collins <jcollins(at)cs(dot)umn(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Joe Shevland <shevlandj(at)kpi(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC connection refused
Date: 2000-03-04 03:31:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Mar 2000, John Collins wrote:
> > 5432, over the network. In both cases it connects, and then disconnects as
> > soon as I type something and send it; I don't get an error message as you show
> > below, just the Connection closed by foreign host message. So, I tried my
> > simple jdbc example, and I'm still getting the Connection refused error. Just
>
> Can you use psql from the client machine? psql -h server-name database ?

Yes. Works fine from both machines, results seem identical.

> Can the two machines communicate otherwise -- ping, telnet, etc?

Yes. I don't get up from my chair to run from the other machine, I just rsh to it.

> Are you using the same version of the JDBC client as you are of the server? (I
> know, obvious, and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to
> cover all the bases)

I'm actually running exactly the same code for the jdbc stuff. From both machines
I'm running from the same nfs-mounted volume. For psql, pgaccess, and jdbc, I'm
using the package that comes on the RedHat 6.1 CDROM. I'm using the same version
of Java on both machines, the new Sun-released version of the Blackdown jdk1.2.2.
I only have the one CDROM. The only difference between the two - that I'm aware of
- is that birch is the only machine that has the postgresql server installed (and
running). The rest of postgresql is installed on both machines.

Thanks for the ideas.

John Collins