Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?
Date: 2000-03-01 06:50:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(sorry for the delay in responding...)

> You can define user types with spaces in them (note to self: better check
> this), so I don't see why we should hack around it. What do you plan on
> doing with DOUBLE PRECISION and TIME WITH TIMEZONE?

DOUBLE PRECISION is already supported, and becomes float8. TIME WITH
TIMEZONE is currently transparently swallowed to become equivalent to
TIME, for reasons spelled out in the docs. I've toyed with the idea of
implementing the SQL92 version of it, but it is *so* useless and brain
damaged (cf Date et al) that I (at least so far) cannot bring myself
to do so. But if and when, it might be ztime internally.

It is unlikely that we can transparently parse two-word types in
gram.y without explicit support for it. Just adding IDENT IDENT to
simple types leads to a shift/reduce conflict.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California