Re: [HACKERS] minor bug...

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] minor bug...
Date: 2000-02-10 21:45:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I assume not having a type added to hash ops isn't fatal, because
> "numeric" isn't there and Jan strikes me as being a very thorough
> guy...

A hash index is probably even less useful than the btree index for
this type, unless it can be used with multi-column indices. Because
the hash will chain duplicate values into a list of some kind, and
you'll get *long* lists.

Find and steal the code for "char" (the real one-byte character type).
But a one-bit hash is what you really want, so it may be better to
implement your own.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California