OO and tuples of different types

From: Chris <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OO and tuples of different types
Date: 2000-01-28 11:13:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Came across this comment in execTuples.c...

*In the implementation of nested-dot queries such as
*"retrieve (EMP.hobbies.all)", a single scan may return tuples
*of many types, so now we return pointers to tuple descriptors
*along with tuples returned via the tuple table. This means
*we now have a bunch of routines to diddle the slot descriptors
*too. -cim 1/18/90

Hmm. Another few years of reading the source and I'll probably
understand all this :-) :-(.

Can anybody provide any insight? Like What EMP.hobbies.all meant in
postquel?

--
Chris Bitmead
mailto:chris(at)bitmead(dot)com