Foreign Keys, Triggers and such

From: Daniel Spratlen <spratlen(at)arches(dot)uga(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Foreign Keys, Triggers and such
Date: 2000-01-19 19:16:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

I am a MIS student at the University of Georgia. I am doing a project
for my Systems Analysis and Design class, and I am using PostgreSQL for
the Database. I have taken a data management class and we always used
foreign keys. I used a win32 program written by Power Soft called Data
Architect. I used the PostgreSQL odbc drivers to interface with the
linux box with the database on it. The reason I am writing all this, is
that it created all the tables, indexes, and sequences just fine, but it
skipped over the foreign keys. I understand that a trigger can be used
instead of a foreign key, and I have read an explanation for this reason
at
http://www.mysql.org/Manual_chapter/manual_Compatibility.html#Missing_Foreign_Keys

I was wondering if this is the same reason that PostgreSQL doesn't use
foreign keys, and I was wondering exactly how to use the triggers
instead of the foreign keys. Sorry for a long story in my message.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Daniel Spratlen
spratlen(at)arches(dot)uga(dot)edu