Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump core dump, upgrading from 6.5b1 to 5/24 snapshot

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ari Halberstadt <ari(at)shore(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump core dump, upgrading from 6.5b1 to 5/24 snapshot
Date: 1999-05-25 19:00:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ari Halberstadt <ari(at)shore(dot)net> writes:
> Using pg_dump with 6.5b1 on solaris sparc crashes with a core dump. This
> means I can't keep backups and I can't upgrade my data model without being
> able to export the old data.

> On Bruce's suggestion I tried upgrading to a recent snapshot (in this case
> the one from 5/24). When I killed the old postmaster and started the new
> postmaster I got the following error in psql:

Hi Ari,
I believe there's been at least one initdb-forcing change since 6.5b1,
so you're right, you can't run a newer postmaster until you have
extracted your data.

But I think what Bruce really had in mind was to run pg_dump out of
the latest snapshot against your 6.5b1 postmaster. That should work
as far as compatibility issues go. If we're really lucky, the bug has
been fixed since then --- if not, it'd be easiest to try to find it in
current sources anyway...

The coredump is happening in pg_dump, right, not in the connected
backend?