postgresql configuration nits

From: Sarah Officer <officers(at)aries(dot)tucson(dot)saic(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql configuration nits
Date: 2000-01-11 16:02:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am compiling postgres 6.5.3 on an IRIX running version 6.5 of the
OS. I ran into a few problems which are surmountable, but perhaps
they should be fixed. I believe problems 1 and 3 are platform
independent. I have no idea what causes problem 2. Any ideas?

1. I am not installing my software in /usr/local. Here's how I want
to install my software:

BASE_DIR
include - platform independent include files go here
man - platform independent man pages
other - other directories for stuff htat is platform independent
IRIXDIR - a directory for things particular to SGI
bin - binaries specific to the platform, in this case IRIX
lib - libraries specific to the platform, in this case IRIX

For most packages I build with configure, this is easily
accomplished by useing '--prefix=$BASE_DIR
--exec-prefix=BASE_DIR/IRIXDIR'. When I use these flags for
postgres, however, the binaries get put into BASE_DIR/bin. That
won't work in a multi-platform environment.

2. I also notice that unless I specify '--with-CC=cc', configure is
assuming gcc. I don't have gcc in my path, so I don't know why it
is being selected. There are some copies of gcc in our network, but
they are not to be used for this project (and thus they are not in
my path). Why does this happen? The compile fails quickly.

3. I selected the '--with-tcl' compile option. The compilation
fails because it can't find tcl.h. This occurs both in
src/interfaces/libpgtcl directory and in the src/bin/pgtclsh. The
tcl package I wish to use is installed in the same hierarchy I wish
to install postgres. I think it would be reasonable when --prefix
is given as a configure option to add '-I$(prefix)' to CFLAGS and
when --exec-prefix is given, add '-L$(exec_prefix)' to the link
line. I don't know the syntax for that, but you get the idea.

Just some suggestions. They would certainly make the compile go
more easily for us.

Sarah Officer
officers(at)aries(dot)tucson(dot)saic(dot)com