Re: [INTERFACES] PostODBC 6.40.0006 to PostgreSQL 6.5.3 read only

From: "Sergio A(dot) Kessler" <ser(at)perio(dot)unlp(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Didier Gasser-Morlay <didierg(at)visualgroup(dot)com>
Cc: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'Pgsql Interfaces'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] PostODBC 6.40.0006 to PostgreSQL 6.5.3 read only
Date: 2000-01-10 22:16:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Didier Gasser-Morlay wrote:

> Gary Stainburn wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've just downloaded and installed PostODBC, and got it working with MS Excel/MS Query quite easily.
> >
> > After much messing, which I probably couldn't easily replicate, I got it working with Borland Delphi 3 Professional.
> >
> > My problems are:
> >
> > 1) I don't know how I got it working and therefore cannot replicate it.
> > 2) Despite having READ/WRITE access in the ODBC, and ReadOnly=False in Delphi, I can only open read-only connections (MS Query is also read-only).
>

> > My questions:
> > 1) Does anyone have/know of idiot configuration instructions.
> 1. Install the posDrv.exe (you've done that)
> 2. in Settings/Control panel/32 bits ODBC click on ADD to create a new
> datasource
> 2.1 choose PostgreSql as the driver click finish
> 2.2 a new window appears fill i
>
> Datasource: The name you will be presented with when you'll want to use
> thais datasourrce
> Database/server/username are quite obvious.
> (NOTE Make sure that your station is allowed to connect under that
> username to PostgreSql (there is a file in the directory where
> postgresql stored it's data that you MUST adjust in order to be allowed
> to connect to PG. Beware that this file is read-only,m you must Chmod +
> to it. )
>
> Click on Options(Advanced) for the datasource and unchecked the
> read-only.
>
> this should be it.

note that the last version of the driver is 6.40.0007
^
my settings (also using Delphi):
control-panel -> Odbc -> pick the datasource -> Configure ->
driver ->
Disable Genetic... On
KSQO On
the rest: Off
Unknown Sizes: longest
DataType Options: All checked

and in Datasource, read-only unchecked as Didier say.

and to get rid of BDE, http://perio.unlp.edu.ar/modbc

also is important when installing the postOdbc to install it
with "Install Driver Manager with version checking"
(otherwise it can break your odbc DM if you have a newer version)
I'm using Odbc DM 3.510.4202.0

--
-= Sergio A. Kessler == http://sak.org.ar =-
You can have it soon, cheap and working; choose *two*.