Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Opensource

From: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Jose Soares <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Stephen Birch <sbirch(at)ironmountainsystems(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Opensource
Date: 2000-01-04 19:07:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Don Baccus wrote:

> So they'll sell 5.6 but maybe 6 will be free? Strange. Rumor on Slashdot
> is that they've lost their key developers (a month or so ago).

If THAT's the case, man, then they try to get back experienced
programmers for development and support for free via the internet. Then
it would take some time until they're able to offer professional
support.

> And (in response to Jan), yeah, I know outer joins are scheduled
> to be completed in 7.1. Personally, the interbase news leaves me
> yawning. Postgres, since 6.5, is meeting my needs just fine.

Was Marc IIRC. Anyway, most of our proposed features appear in time or
with a 25-50% overrun. What's absolutely strong for free+open software.
And moreover, almost every serious bug, that is fixable without
destroying anything else, get's fixed in a couple of days or weeks. The
reason for the latter is, that we have a fistfull of programmes who
work for years now on the code. Some of us since the release from
Berkeley. That are key developers, who know intuitively into what
region of the code to dive if some strange misbehaviour is reported.

So if Inprise really lost them, they have a severe problem.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #