Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

From: Stephen Birch <sbirch(at)ironmountainsystems(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Date: 2000-01-04 01:25:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wish this announcement had been made a few months ago!! We have several
developers porting our server software to PostgreSQL. Although we like
PostgreSQL, we have run into a number of memory leaks and bugs - something
we never encountered with Interbase.

Now Interbase is going open source, we will discontinue the PostgreSQL
development effort. Interbase is such a well written DBMS, it doesn't make
sense to continue.

You guys have done a great job - but, frankly, IB is better.

Steve