Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release
Date: 1999-12-10 06:37:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> There have been some people who have said they want a 6.6 release with
> beta to start on February 1. They are Tom Lane, Thomas Lockhart, and
> myself. Jan and Peter Eisentraut have said they will be ready on that
> date.
>
> Seems foreign key ability would be enough to justify a 6.6.
>
> Comments?

>From a user's perspective, that would be great. Our application is composed
of over 130 C++ class objects (its about 100K lines of C++) and the move to
6.5 meant:

1) A change throughout the code to lock tables appropriately to support the
refint.c code (which itself doesn't work for cascading updates) under MVCC

2) Keep using 6.4 which isn't all that hot for concurrent access, or

3) Wait for referential integrity...and pray the race condition isn't
triggered under 6.5 for tables being altered.

Due to the nature of our application, and the number of people actually
updating and deleting base tables whose keys would require a cascading
delete/update, we choose #3...... :-)

Mike Mascari