Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: phd2(at)earthling(dot)net, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS
Date: 1999-11-10 15:43:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> See...I am interested, just not interested in having us tied to one
> "vendor"...:)

I know. That still doesn't keep me from being in a bad mood after
spending 3.5 hours at the dentist yesterday :((

On the Corba fork vs thread issue:

It is true that the server process would need to be handed off to the
client in a different manner from the postmaster; with Corba you don't
just fork onto a different port and be done with it.

However, the postmaster *could* start up a server process and return
an IOR to the client, which givs the client a direct handle to the
server. The client would then initiate contact directly with the
server, and the postmaster is no longer involved.

afaik you could still fork in the postmaster, though whether our
streamlined tricks would work with every Orb is not certain. But that
is an optimization for our specific forking implementation, not a
fundamental feature.

As I mentioned, the real performance benefits come from having an
optimized query connection which bypasses the *expensive* string
conversions we currently use to pass data around.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California