Re: Configuration settings for 32GB RAM server

From: "Joshua Marsh" <icub3d(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Mark Lonsdale" <mark(dot)lonsdale(at)wysdm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuration settings for 32GB RAM server
Date: 2006-12-04 18:57:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 12/4/06, Mark Lonsdale <mark(dot)lonsdale(at)wysdm(dot)com> wrote:

> Maintenance_work_mem = 1048576 – Figured Id allocate 1GB for this.

Do you know how often and when you will be creating indexes or clustering?
We set ours to 2GB because of the performance gains. We've also thought
about testing it at 4GB. We can do this because we know during the middle
of the night our server load drops to nearly zero. If you know you have
windows like that, then I would definitely suggest increasing your
maintenance_work_mem. It's halved the time for io intesive tasks like
cluster.