Performance

From: "Jason C(dot) Leach" <jcl(at)mail(dot)ocis(dot)net>
To: pgsql-list <pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Performance
Date: 1999-10-29 07:47:18
Lists: pgsql-general

hi,

I've been playing with pgsql for a few days now and am getting the hang
of it. I just did a loop that inserts a few thousand records into a
table. I did a statement, prepare, execute; it worked fine although pg
seemed to access the hd for every insert. Is there a way to cache
inserts and then write them all at once later. I'm using Perl with
DBD::Pg/DBI and see with DBI there is a prepare_cached, and a commit.
Not much in the way of docs for the modules though.

Perhaps I should be doing statement, prepare, statement, prepare,
commit?

I'd also be curious where you start postgres with the -F option? I did
not see it as a postmaster option.

This is just a curiosity, but some of the MS Certified people are being
taught that MS SQL server requires something like a PIII with 512MB
RAM. That's pretty crazy, if you ask me, but I can see it as being
dependent on how many requests you server will need to deal with. On
equal machines, could pg handle more or less requests that MS SQL?

Thanks,
Jason

......... Jason C. Leach
...... University College of the Cariboo
... jcl(at)mail(dot)ocis(dot)net(dot)
.. http://www.ocis.net/~jcl
.

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence from Home:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

LINUX!