Re: TODO <-> Commitfest

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "PG Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO <-> Commitfest
Date: 2008-08-28 16:39:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Alternatively, suggest that the email message submitting the patch
> mentions that "this resolves TODO item so-and-so". Then the committer
> would know to go fix the TODO item.

Yes, I've noticed that some submitters are already doing this, and it
seems to work. Although I do wonder about patch threads where the
initial patch kicks off further discussion, and several revisions of
the patch ensue. Is the committer expected to recall that the very
first post contained a reference to a TODO item when committing the
final version?

Anyway, I think it would be worth adding this guidance to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch and perhaps also
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ#I_have_developed_a_patch.2C_what_next.3F

I'll go do this now. Feel free to edit/revert/whatever my changes if
you don't like them =)

Cheers,
BJ