Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date: 2005-05-17 18:51:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/18/05, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> The key requirement that has always come up is that the core developers
> wouldn't use anything web based, so the tracker would have to somehow tie
> into the mailing lists themselves ...

What's the basis of this objection to a web-based dev management
system? Seems like web-based makes plenty of sense for a physically
disparate development community like this one.

It also seems that, once you get it up and running, any worthwhile dev
management system is going to actually take less time / effort to
maintain than, say, maintaining manually concocted todo lists and
coordinating development via a mailing list.

Call me a normaliser, but even if the maintenance cost is higher, I
think it's worth it to have a centralised, authoratitive, organised
repository for dev task data.