Re: RI and PARSER (was: Re: [HACKERS] RI status report #1)

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RI and PARSER (was: Re: [HACKERS] RI status report #1)
Date: 1999-09-29 04:41:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Just tell me which of these SQL3 "reserved" keywords
> (according to the SQL3 draft I got from Vadim) should be
> available for column ID or Label:
> CONSTRAINTS
> DEFERRABLE
> DEFERRED
> IMMEDIATE
> INITIALLY
> PENDANT
> RESTRICT
> Then I'll add them before committing. Overlooking the syntax
> of my new commands, it wouldn't hurt to add them all to these
> lists. But should SQL3 reserved words really be in them?

We have tried to allow as many keywords as possible for identifiers
(for ColId, which includes ColLabel) or, as a more limited choice, for
column aliases (ColLabel only). This is particularly helpful as we
implement more and more of the standard, and take away previously
allowed column and table names. The keywords, reserved, unreserved,
and unused, are documented for Postgres in syntax.sgml, and the docs
present them wrt the SQL92 and SQL3 standards.

What I usually do is try adding one or all of them to ColId, and if
that fails by giving shift/reduce conflicts I'll try moving the
offenders to ColLabel. There aren't many places in the syntax where
yacc/bison can't handle keywords at least as column labels.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California