Re: [HACKERS] Profiling?

From: Leon <leon(at)udmnet(dot)ru>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Profiling?
Date: 1999-09-27 07:54:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, I have done it many times. I profile that postgres process, not
> the backend.

Hmm, isn't Postgres process called backend process? AFAIK postmaster
(it's simply a nickname to Postgres) forks itself on receiveing new
connection request. Isn't it true? I mean that Postmaster is the same
binary as Postgres itself.

> Look for this in Makefile.global:
>
> # Comment out PROFILE to generate a profile version of the binaries
> #PROFILE= -p -non_shared

Of course I used -p option. The problem is, when I start Postmaster,
it complains about 'profile timer expired'. What do I do wrong?

--
Leon.
-------