Re: [HACKERS] Hierarchical query?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)trust(dot)ee>
To: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)webline(dot)dk>, "hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Hierarchical query?
Date: 1999-09-17 10:52:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> I may have missed some discussions, but I want to know if there are any
> plans on implementing something like the hierarchical query that Oracle
> has?

It should be in the TODO under some weird name derived from SQL3 docs ;)

> You know, this would greatly simplify the task of writing the accounting
> system I'm planning :-)

One more general approach would be to enable functions to return rowsets
like ordinary selects do, then it would be easy to write a function for
the above.

Currently it can be implemented using a function and temp tables, but it
gets a bit convoluted .

-------
Hannu