Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside transaction block

From: José Soares <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside transaction block
Date: 1999-09-07 12:55:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane ha scritto:

> Pursuant to a phone conversation I had with Bruce, I added code this
> morning to reject DROP TABLE or DROP INDEX inside a transaction block;
> that is, you can't do BEGIN; DROP TABLE foo; END anymore. The reason
> for rejecting this case is that we do the wrong thing if the transaction
> is later aborted. Following BEGIN; DROP TABLE foo; ABORT, the system
> tables will claim that foo is still valid (since the changes to them
> were never committed) but we've already unlinked foo's physical file,
> and we can't get it back. Solution: only allow DROP TABLE outside
> BEGIN, so that the user can't try to change his mind later.
>
> However, on second thought I wonder if this cure is worse than the
> disease. Will it be unreasonably hard to drop tables using client
> interfaces that like to wrap everything in BEGIN/END? Plugging an
> obscure hole might not be worth that.
>
> A possible compromise is not to error out, but just to issue a NOTICE
> along the lines of "DROP TABLE is not undoable, so don't even think of
> trying to abort now..."
>
> (Of course, what would be really nice is if it just worked, but I don't
> see any way to make that happen without major changes. Simply
> postponing the unlink to end of transaction isn't workable; consider
> BEGIN; DROP TABLE foo; CREATE TABLE foo; ...)
>
> Any thoughts? Will there indeed be a problem with JDBC or ODBC if we
> leave this error check in place?
>
> regards, tom lane
>
> ************
>
> ************

Seems a good solution. I have an old note about this problem.
What about to reject also the following commands inside transactions?

* BUGS: There are some commands that doesn't work properly
inside transactions. Users should NOT use the following
statements inside transactions:

- DROP TABLE -- in case of ROLLBACK only table structure
will be recovered, data will be
lost.
- CREATE VIEWS -- the behavior of the backend is unpredictable.
- ALTER TABLE -- the behavior of the backend is unpredictable.
- CREATE DATABASE -- in case of ROLLBACK will be removed references
from "pg_database" but directory
$PGDATA/databasename will not be removed.

José