creating indexes on character fields

From: Eric Enockson <erice(at)cloudband(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: creating indexes on character fields
Date: 1999-09-06 14:58:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

i have a person here who is telling me that i should not create
on character fields. That is a

index_field char(32)

or something.

This doesn't make sense to me because it seems that we can order
strings
as easily as ordering numbers as they're all just binary to the computer

anyway.

He is saying bascially that this bit off code from my sql book is
something he has never seen done in a database in his life. I do not
understand.

Create INDEX author_name
on books (author_name)