Re: [GENERAL] re-post

From: Teodor Cimpoesu <teo(at)digiro(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] re-post
Date: 1999-09-05 10:07:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Matthew Hixson wrote:

> Amy Cheng requested that I post her reply to me back to the list since she did
> not have a copy of it.
> -M@
>
> hi,
>
> search or browse "functions" and "PL/pgSQL" (and tcl and c/spi), "triggers".
> enough to start-up ;-)

> also, there is examples in the source's test directory.
I can answer least 50% on all of your question only after reading the
"programmer's guide",
one night,( and was also doin' a Postgres+Apache+PHP installation in
parallel).
So did you rtfm?
If yes let me share:

> but, you are right, not in depth enough. I asked Several times, in
> different forms, in this list, NOT a SINGLE answer! Seems that
> nice expert are scarce nowadays. Let me put those questions
> together anyway, let's see ...
>
> the difference between Oralce's PL/SQL and PL/pgSQL (so
> that we can use the books on PL/SQL),
afaik, PL/pgSQL is pretty like PL/SQL except it cannot use cursors,
and arrays I think.

> the difference between PL/pgSQL and tcl (note that postgreSQL also support
> tcl now),
eww, a big one. tcl is rather a programming language, PL/pgSQL, as it's
name states
is a procedural language, used only in functions.

> does PL/pgSQL support array-like feature? how about tcl in postgreSQL?
dunno, did you try?

> if I want use OS (i.e. external to dababase), can I use PL/pgSQL or tcl? if
> in C (spi), is it easy? anyway to get perl involved?
?? I didn't get this Q, if you are refering to postgres API, if you can
use PL/pgSQL
in, say, C code, I think everything that backend sais is valid, will be.
Also have a look @ ecpg. The cleaner way is through libpq. And the C++
API looks also nice.
And yep , you can get perl involved through it's DBI.

--
CIMPOESU Teodor, Web Programmer

@ DIGICOM S.A. Bucharest, Romania
@ Internet, site development