SELECT multiple tables with same fields

From: "Dipl(dot)-Ing(dot) Thomas Schallar" <T(dot)Schallar(at)AVALON(dot)at>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SELECT multiple tables with same fields
Date: 1999-08-29 15:43:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello!

Imagine two tables

CREATE TABLE one ( name varchar(10), content varchar(10) );
CREATE TABLE two ( name varchar(10), something_different varchar(10) );

with some rows in each of them and and a query

SELECT *
INTO new_table
FROM one, two
WHERE one.name=two.name;

If there are matching fields, then the query would return some joined
rows. But it can't, because the column "name" comes twice in the tables!
Of course

SELECT one.*, two.name AS two_name, two.something_different
INTO new_table
FROM one, two
WHERE one.name=two.name;

does the work, because I rename the duplicate columns.

Before I started programming with Postgres I've done my stuff with
Microsoft Visual Basic and Access. Access has the lovely feature, that
doubly selected column names are automatically renamed to
the moment; sorry!) so everything works fine.

Is there some similar feature in Postgres? I'm asking, because I have
queries over up to seven tables joined and the fields in those tables
are growing larger and larger. But if I add fields, than I have to add
them to each of the SELECT statements also, that they won't be missed
off. That's boaring und faulty.

Any help welcome!

regards,
Thomas