long object names vs object description

From: Yury Don <yura(at)vpcit(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: long object names vs object description
Date: 1999-08-20 05:08:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All.

Once I asked already on similar subject but haven't got any reply. Try
to formulate my question on other way.
I would like to show table names and field names to users who not
familiar with databases and programming etc. Therefore I need to show
them something understandable. Postgres allows to create table and
fields with names, which contains national specific (e.g. russian)
characters and spaces, something like

create table "table number one"(
"field number one" serial,
"field number two" text
)

Also in postgres database exists table pg_description, so I can give to
object "normal" name (consisting from english characters and digits) and
then put into pg_description. But in this case I will forced to use
joins in order to show description to user.
So, my questions: Is it safe to create objects with names, containing
spaces? And is it safe to use national specific characters in names? Or
better to use pg_description for solving my task?
Thank you in advance.

Sincerely yours, Yury.
don.web-page.net, ICQ 11831432