JDBC query...

From: Mark Dzmura <mdz(at)phalanx(dot)phalanx(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: JDBC query...
Date: 1999-08-12 23:18:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Folks:

I would like to extend my (JDBC-using) software to be able to present the user with a list
of available databases from a chosen database server, to create new databases, and to
create new tables...

My reading of the JDBC 1.0 and 2.0 specs presents a picture of an API which seems to be
of a "read only" nature regarding database metadata - I can't find ways to create, delete, and
modify above the level of SQL queries against tables...

In that regard, my questions address both JDBC itself, and the Postgres JDBC driver implementation.

Regarding JDBC,

1. Is there an object of higher "scope" than the Connection object, which is bound to a specific
database??

2. Is there a Database object, which provides methods to create, destroy, and modify the schemas
of tables ?? Or can I do SQL "CREATE TABLE" and "DROP TABLE" operations using some
version of Statement which doesn't return a ResultSet ??

Finally, at what level does the Postgres JDBC driver support JDBC (regarding my questions and
in general) ??

Thanks,
Mark Dzmura

--
)))) This email routed via a wireless gateway!! ((((