Data type recommendation

From: Thomas Lim <englim(at)pc(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Data type recommendation
Date: 1999-08-04 08:02:22
Lists: pgsql-general

According to the user guide, it is mentioned that TEXT data type is
recommended over CHAR or VARCHAR. Does anyone know why? I thought the
access time for TEXT is slower. Shouldn't CHAR be used for key fields?
Is there some sort of overheads for CHAR or VARCHAR that TEXT is
recommended? Hope that someone has an answer to this recommendation.

Thanks,
Thomas Lim.