Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Uncle George <gatgul(at)voicenet(dot)com>
Cc: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-20 05:10:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

> > if eq($(CPUID),alpha)
> > myfloat.o: myfloat.c
> > $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -mieee myfloat.c -o myfloat.o
> > fi
> # seems to be required for some date/time stuff 07/19/1999 bjm
> ifeq ($(CPU),alpha)
> CFLAGS+= -mieee
> endif
> This is in the current tree, not 6.5.1. Please test and let me know
> if this helps. I also added a Makefile-visible variable called CPU.
> Seems we really don't have such a variable already available in the
> Makefile-scope.

I imagine that this flag is specific to the compiler. It would
probably be best to leave it to patches until the alpha issues are
solved for every OS environment; sorry I don't have a platform myself
to test on.

btw, RedHat is interested in doing a maintenance release of Postgres
rpms, and would dearly love to have the Alpha port problems solved (or
vica versa; they hate that their shipping rpms are broken or not
available on one of their three supported architectures).

Uncle G, could you tell us the actual port string configure generates
for your platform? At the moment, PORTNAME on my i686 box says
"linux", and I don't see architecture info. But perhaps we can have
configure deduce an ARCH parameter too? It already knows it when first
identifying the system...

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California