Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch
Date: 2017-01-27 18:47:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 1:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> It might make sense to proceed by writing a separate patch that just
>> refactors the existing code to have an API like that, and then revise
>> this patch to add an error message field to the per-line struct. Or
>> maybe that's just extra work, not sure.

> Here I attached tokenize_file refactor patch to return single linked list
> that contains a structure and rebased pg_hba_rules patch on top it
> by adding an error message to that structure to hold the errors occurred
> during tokenization..

I pushed the first patch with some revisions. You had the TokenizedLine
struct containing something that was still a three-level-nesting list,
whereas it only needs to be two levels, and you hadn't updated any of
the comments that the patch falsified. Also, I figured we might as well
pass the TokenizedLine struct as-is to parse_hba_line and
parse_ident_line, because that was going to be the next step anyway
so they could pass back error messages.

Off to look at the second patch ...