Re: Simplifying OID lookups in the presence of namespaces

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simplifying OID lookups in the presence of namespaces
Date: 2002-04-23 03:46:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also, for functions and operators the name alone is not sufficient to
>> uniquely identify the object. Type regproc currently throws an error
>> if asked to convert a nonunique function name; that severely limits its
>> usefulness. I'm toying with allowing datatypes in the input string,
>> eg
>> 'sum(bigint)'::regproc
>> but I wonder if this will create compatibility problems. In particular,
>> should the regproc and regoperator output converters include datatype
>> indicators in the output string? (Always, never, only if not unique?)

> I'd be inclined to include datatype always. If you don't, how can you
> use this for pg_dump, etc?

pg_dump would probably actually prefer not having type info in the
output string; it'll just have to strip it off in most places. But
I don't have a good feeling for the needs of other applications,
so I was asking what other people thought.

If we supported both ways via two datatypes, we'd have all the bases
covered; I'm just wondering if it's worth the trouble.

regards, tom lane

PS: interesting thought about enum ...