Re: [HACKERS] "DML"

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)trust(dot)ee>
To: Thomas Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
Cc: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] "DML"
Date: 1999-06-12 10:27:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Good wrote:

> > OK, in the DML, DCL, and DDL decomposition of things, just what
> > *is* a select statement?
>
> Hee hee...according to Guy Harrison who wrote 'Oracle SQL High
> Performance Tuning' (a great book) SELECT is NOT part of DML.
>
> It is a QUERY.
> Harrison separates SELECT from DML because it does not alter data.

But what would you call yer query when the tables have rules/triggers
attached that do alter data ? A DML-savvy QUERY ;)

BTW, where do all the triggers and rules fall anyway, or ar they a
different subset - maybe Data Behaviour Language (DBL)

> Is this getting murkier or do I really need some coffee?

Maybe next we should try to divide english into sublanguages ?
English for Order Giving - EOG
English for Describing Things - EDT
Englisg for Discussing SQL Sublanguages - EDSQLL

Hannu