Re: RH 6.0 and PostgreSQL

From: Michael Jenner <mj(at)kom(dot)auc(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 and PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-05-16 21:28:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Ricardo Peres wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After upgrading to RedHat 6.0, PostgreSQL no longer works...
> Whenever I try to start the postmaster daemon, using
> /erc/rc.d/init.d/postmaster script, I receive a message about postgresql
> not finding the data directory. I checked /var/lib/pgsql, and in fact it
> does not contain anything!
> Am I missing something?

Redhat didn't configure it correct. (I'm getting tired of Redhat but what's the
alternative ... *hmmm*)

What I did to solve the problem was (cut-and-paste from my rh60hist.txt file):

1. Add environment variables to /etc/profile:

# To enable postgresql:
export PGLIB=/usr/lib/pqsql
export PGDATA=/var/lib/pqsql

2. from root; "su postgres"

3. "initdb" initializes database.

4. Edit /var/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf to allow only local access:

local all trust

(you may want to allow remote access as well)

5. Now postmaster is able to start (as root).

/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

6. Test postgresql with:

su postgres, createdb, psql, SELECT datetime 'now';, \q to quit.

\? or \h gives help. Commands with \ are NOT SQL and must not end with ;,
while SQL commands ALWAYS ends with ;

7. Add users

[postgres(at)thor pgsql]$ createuser mj
Enter user's postgres ID or RETURN to use unix user ID: 1000 ->
Is user "mj" allowed to create databases (y/n) y
Is user "mj" allowed to add users? (y/n) n
createuser: mj was successfully added

Hope it is usefull!

By the way, what GUI is recommendable for postgresql ?

pgaccess is also not running on Redhat 6.0. It reports:

Error in startup script: couldn't load file "libpgtcl.so": /usr/lib/libpgtcl.so:
undefined symbol: crypt
while executing
"load libpgtcl.so"
(procedure "main" line 6)