Re: [INTERFACES] editing tables

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: Thong Nguyen <tnguyen(at)ktb(dot)net>
Cc: "'Pgaccess'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] editing tables
Date: 1999-04-10 08:27:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thong Nguyen wrote:

> please advise how i can edit existing tables, i.e. add new fields and edit
> properties of existing fields. i'm using pgaccess 0.9 on postgresql 6.3.2
> and redhat 5.2.

I don't recall but I think that PgAccess version 0.90 is not able to add
new fields to a table or modify existing ones.
The last version is able to do that with a few restrictions :
- it can add new columns to a table
- it can only rename an existing column

Changing the column type isn't a simpe operation. Try dumping the table
, change the field type and realoading it. In some cases it might work.

Upgrading to PgAccess 0.96 will be a pain for you because it needs
PostgreSQL 6.4.2 due to some changes inside libpgtcl library.
But you should try it. At http://www.flex.ro/pgaccess you will find some
patchese that you have to make in order to try running it on 6.4.2

Upgrading your postgresql to 6.4.2 will be a *GREAT* beneffit for you.
It's a good, fine release.

Best regards,
--
Constantin Teodorescu