Re: PGCon 2008 RFP

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGCon 2008 RFP
Date: 2009-01-05 19:17:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 14:02 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> > For the most part, I agree. But for new presenters, it never hurts to
> > point them in the right direction.
>
> Ahh but that is a different argument than I have read on this list. I
> don't see any problem with providing templates to help people. It is
> "requiring" them that gets my feathers ruffled.

While I do think that requiring them would be good, I also admit that it
would certainly be a little drastic to require them the first time through.
If a deck is available, and if I were an organizer, I would *encourage*
people to use them, but I probably wouldn't require it until we see how it
goes.

Personally, if one of my submissions were accepted and a standardized slide
deck were available, I'd use it simply to help promote the conference. I
don't really care what the slides look like, I'm focused on the content of
the presentation.

Well its as close as any list would be within .org but I believe that if
> anyone wants to change the way individual conference are run they should
> contact the respective organizers.

Agreed. Ultimately, it's up to the conference organizers regardless of our
discussion.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com