DB2-style INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DB2-style INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING
Date: 2006-03-12 16:11:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was talking with Jonathan Gennick about the INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING stuff,
and he recommended looking into the way DB2 handles similar functionality.
After looking into it a bit, it's more inline with what Tom's suggestion was
regarding a query from the operation rather than returning the values in the
manner currently required.

Here's DB2's syntax... does anyone have any familiarity with it?

Simply put, it's sort-of like:

SELECT * FROM (FINAL | NEW | OLD) TABLE (INSERT | UPDATE | DELETE)

I'd like to hear from anyone that's used it to see if it really is better...
logically it seems nicer, but I've never used it.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation