Re: Proposal for SYNONYMS

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for SYNONYMS
Date: 2006-03-09 21:42:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/9/06, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> 1) Is there a SQL standard for this?

Nope.

2) For my comprehension, what's the difference between a SYNONYM and a
> single-object (possibly updatable) view?

Not a whole lot actually. If we had updateable views, I'd suggest that
people change their create synonym syntax to create view. However, it would
take substantially more work to implement updatable views than synonyms and
the functionality of updatable views is substantially different than the use
of synonyms alone. If/when updatable views are implemented, I wouldn't have
a problem switching create synonym to actually create a view.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation