Off-Topic, but Important [Fwd: Free Speech 0 ; US West 1]

From: Clark Evans <clark(dot)evans(at)manhattanproject(dot)com>
To: jfa(at)javalobby(dot)org, xmledi-list(at)lists(dot)bizserve(dot)com, php3(at)php(dot)il(dot)eu(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, rtems-list(at)oarcorp(dot)com, gnome-list(at)gnome(dot)org, java-os-project(at)spin(dot)de, egcs(at)cygnus(dot)com
Subject: Off-Topic, but Important [Fwd: Free Speech 0 ; US West 1]
Date: 1999-02-11 17:29:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry to inntterupt your regularly scheduled programming,
but I think that this is important to everyone.

Best,

Clark

-----------------------
For Immediate Release
February 8, 1999

FINAL SCORE: FREE SPEECH-0, U S WEST-1

Cottonwood Communications and Rick Dahlgren were found to be in
civil contempt by a Federal Judge in Omaha, Nebraska for releasing
public documents to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
That's right, PUBLIC documents.

In an Order entered February 5, 1999, United States District
Judge Thomas M. Shanahan granted the "Amended Motion for
Order of Contempt" sought by U S West against Dahlgren and
Cottonwood. In the Judge's Order, he relied on a "Report and
Recommendation" from Federal Magistrate Judge Kathleen A. Jaudzemis
that clearly and unambiguously stated that the documents Dahlgren
and Cottonwood submitted to the FCC were "publicly available."

The Order was issued over objections filed by Dahlgren and
Cottonwood that strongly asserted that publicly available
documents cannot be afforded any protection and that U S West
forfeited it's protection by failing to meet the provisions of
the original Protective Order covering the documents in civil
litigation in Omaha, Nebraska.

"We're trying like the dickens to find the page in pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)orgthe
Constitution that gives the court the authority to do this" said Rick
Dahlgren, Vice President, Cottonwood Communications.

U S West is seeking reimbursement of costs for prosecuting
the instant motion, for its costs before the FCC resulting from
Cottonwood's "wrongful disclosure," and for costs associated
with retrieving the documents in question. Further, the
Magistrate Judge recommends Dahlgren and java-os-project(at)spin(dot)deCottonwood post a bond.

"We originally sued U S West for having put two businesses I own
out of business with inadequate telephone service. Now it
would appear that the Federal Court in Omaha is prepared to
assess fines against both my new company and me personally,
which if excessive enough, could put Cottonwood Communications
out of business. Since the Order is against me personally,
as well, maybe this time U S West can take my house" said
Dahlgren, who went on to say "Cottonwood Communications and
I will never willingly pay a single cent to anyone for
exerting our right to free speech under the Constitution
of the United States."

The documents in question were filed at the FCC regarding
Docket 98-147, and are also available to anyone who wishes to
see them at the Federal Courthouse in Omaha, Nebraska,
8:94CV89. "Unless, of course, you're me" said Dahlgren.

"In context, the documents show that when regulation provides
conditional entry to a market, U S West, under a cloak of
secrecy, does everything in its power to unfairly provide
itself and its partners essential control of the market
at the exclusion of all others" said Dahlgren.

For more information, contact:

Rick Dahlgren
Phone: (402) 896-2303
FAX: (402) 896-0268