Problem with password authentication?

From: Scott Dowdle <dowdle(at)mcn(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with password authentication?
Date: 1999-01-25 16:27:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Greetings from Billings, Montana.

Has anyone had any problem with password authentication? I did a
pg_dumpall and the export and import seemed to go fine. If trust is in
the data/pg_hba.conf it works fine. I verified that the database
contents between the original setup and the new 6.4.2 are the same.
When I add password to the data_pg_hba.conf (which works in 6.3.2 just
fine), I get an "authenication failure" error every time. I turned the
log debugging level on to 3 and I can't seem to get any more
information... and am clueless as to why password based authentication
is failing.

Any help is appreciated. Currently, I'm going to set up a postgresql on
a separate machine and build a database from scratch to see if I can get
password authentication working... and isolate if it was the database
transition that caused the problem.

Thanks in advance!

--
Scott Dowdle, Systems Programmer