Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access 97 and Pass-through SQL

From: Gregg Berkholtz <gregg(at)gbcomputers(dot)com>
To: David Hartwig <daybee(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>
Cc: Access Developer listserv <accessd(at)mtgroup(dot)com>, Postgres interface list <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access 97 and Pass-through SQL
Date: 1999-01-23 23:59:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I was aware of the jet engine, but it is so _SLOW_ that I was hoping to maybe
find a way to speed it up. The only thing that I could think of was
pass-through... Which, of course no longer allowed me to do most joins. :-(

I am just beginning to learn SQL and have been given this project to work on,
not knowing that much about SQL has forced me to build the queries in the
builder and then convert them to an SQL pass-through.

Does anyone know of an equivalent SQL statement/syntax that I could use instead
of INNER JOINS with PostgreSQL.

This is the statement as it comes out of Access (what it is supposed to do is
query the database getting the relevant information about all open Trouble
Tickets from multiple fields):

SELECT tblTroubTick.troubTickID, tblTroubTick.troubTickNum,
[tblClientInfo]![firstName] & " " & [tblClientInfo]![lastName] AS
concatTblClientTbl, tblTroubTick.troubTickOpenDate,
tblTroubTickProblem.troubTickProblem, tblPriority.priority,
tblTroubTick.hoursInvested, [tblSupportPersonelInfo]![firstName] & " " &
[tblSupportPersonelInfo]![lastName] AS concatTblSupportPersonell,
tblTroubTick.troubTickLastUpdate, tblTroubTick.assetID,
tblTroubTickStatus.troubTickStatus
FROM tblSupportPersonelInfo INNER JOIN (tblPriority INNER JOIN
(tblTroubTickProblem INNER JOIN (tblClientLocation INNER JOIN (tblClientInfo
INNER JOIN (tblTroubTickStatus INNER JOIN tblTroubTick ON
tblTroubTickStatus.troubTickStatusID = tblTroubTick.troubTickStatusID) ON
tblClientInfo.clientID = tblTroubTick.clientID) ON tblClientLocation.locationID
= tblClientInfo.locationID) ON tblTroubTickProblem.troubTickProblemID =
tblTroubTick.troubTickProblemID) ON tblPriority.priorityID =
tblTroubTick.priorityID) ON tblSupportPersonelInfo.supportPersID =
tblTroubTick.supportPersID
WHERE (((tblTroubTickStatus.troubTickStatus) Not In ("CLOSED")));

Thanks for the help!

Gregg Berkholtz