Re: [HACKERS] Postgres Speed or lack thereof

From: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
To: John Holland <jholland(at)isr(dot)umd(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Postgres Speed or lack thereof
Date: 1999-01-18 02:29:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Holland wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I've been lurking on this list for a little while. I have just done a
> little tinkering with Postgres 6.4.2, comparing it to Oracle and mySQL on
> Linux. It would appear that just doing a lot of inserts (ie 40000) in a
> loop is enormously slower in Postgres in two ways that I tried it.
> One - using a loop in Java that makes a JDBC call to insert.
> Two- using plpgsql as a comparision to PL/SQL.
>
> Perhaps these are bad techniques and a C based proc would do better?
>
> I really like the idea of an open source DB and am impressed with a lot I
> see about PostgreSQL - however the speed difference is pretty bad -
> 4.5 minutes versus about 20 seconds.
>
> Is that just the way it goes? Are there options that would make it faster
> that are not the defaults?

Oracle uses chained transaction mode (i.e. - all queries run in
single transaction untill explicit COMMIT/ABORT), MySQL hasn't
transaction at all...

PostgreSQL uses un-chained transaction mode: each query runs
in own transaction - 40000 transaction commits !!!

Try to use BEGIN/END to run all inserts in single transaction
and please let us know results.

Vadim